May 8, 2012

Prosciutto Wrapped Tilapia


Picture by: Evan Sung, New York Times
OK, I was tired of my usual go-tos like tacos, fish and rice, tacos, spaghetti, burritos...you get the idea. So, while I was in line at the deli department I decided to buy a few thin slices of prosciutto (all $2 worth!). Then bought a jar of pesto and a bag of frozen tilapia fillets (because I am too cheap to buy fresh stuff...and KS hasn't wowed me with it abundance of fresh fish) and headed home. This recipe took about 22 minutes only because I was waiting about 10 minutes for the frozen tilapia to defrost a little, about 3 minutes to wrap up the fish and place it in the skillet, 2 minutes to cook the wrapped fish in butter, and 7 minutes waiting for it to bake. At the get go, I also started the rice cooker so the rice was done within 20 minutes. While I waited for fish to bake I made a quick tossed salad. Easy!!!

Prosciutto Wrapped Tilapia with Pesto

(inspired by http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/dining/051mrex.html)
Ingredients:
4   4-6oz thick fillets of white-fleshed fish (I used tilapia)
2 or 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (I used one slice each-- depends on how wide slices are that you are 
     buying...I bought Boar's Head brand from the deli section and its was wide enough to wrap all the way  
     around--second slice not needed)
2 tablespoons butter, or more oil. (butter makes it brown so nicely)
1 jar of pesto (or make your own, but for $5 a jar, you'll save time AND have more for later!)

Cook:
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Season fillets with salt and pepper (I did NOT add salt as the prosciutto and pesto are both pretty salty). Lay two slices (one, in my case) of prosciutto on a board, slightly overlapping like fish scales. Smear prosciutto with a layer of pesto, then lay fish in center and wrap it up.
3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes; add butter. When foam subsides, cook fish for a minute on each side, then roast (in oven...in the same skillet) until tender, 5 to 10 minutes depending on thickness. Fillets are done when a thin-bladed knife will pass through their thickest point with little resistance (tilapia cooks quickly, so 6-10 minutes was enough!). Serve.
Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive Criticism or Compliment?