October 16, 2012

Rainbow Dash (MLP) Cupcakes



I came across this clever idea for a My Little Pony themed cupcake (thank you to all the 4 year olds and college students that are still fantasizing about these fillies)...can't remember where, but I loved the simple idea. The MLP rings I purchased for about $4 for 12 (free shipping) via Amazon.com.

1. Headed out to the local mall's candy shoppe for the rainbow sour ribbons. They were a little on the flimsy side, so in hindsight, I'd double up the rainbows to give a bit more oomph. Then again, your candy shop may have thicker ribbons that don't bend so easily.
2. Made confetti cupcakes and baked according to the box.
3. Used a can of cream cheese frosting, of which, I mixed in blue food dye (a few drops does the trick--you can always add more later). I then spread that onto the tops of the cooled cupcakes.
4. I made a small batch of cream cheese frosting using a package of cream cheese and half bag of powdered sugar. I wanted it thick like playdoh...so if you need to, add more powdered sugar. I dumped this in to a baggie and used the baggie like a pastry bag (just cut the corner off to squeeze frosting out). This white frosting was used for the clouds. 
5. Once cloud piles are in place, I cut up the sour ribbons in to 3 inch sections and stuck one end in a cloud and the other end, in the other cloud.
6. If needed, reinforce edges of rainbows with frosting "clouds". 
7. Place in the refrigerator until needed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive Criticism or Compliment?