October 16, 2012

Homemade Artisan Bread (...in 15 min of work)




Getting tired of buying the yummy, yet expensive ($4), artisan breads from the grocery store? I did too. I turned to HyVee (grocery chain) and their cooking demos. I lucked out and happened to attend one of their sessions with a dietitian on "How to bake bread". Yes! So, today, I made my first loaf of bread. This recipe only takes 10 minutes to measure the ingredients and mix. THERE IS NO KNEADING INVOLVED! It was hearty, warm, and flaky. My 4 year old ate all her bread AND all the clam macaroni (with spinach, Parmesan, and mushrooms) that was served with it. Double YES! Even better? It only cost me .83 cents to make a loaf. OK, all the supplies cost me $11, but I didn't use them all...and the portions I did use, would cost about $3.32...divided by 4 since it makes 4 loaves.  :) 

Here's my step by step (sorta):
1. Mix yeast and salt in 100 degree F water, then add all the other dry ingredients. I did add 1/2 cup of  Flaxseed flour/meal to the mix and decreased my all-purpose flour by 1/2 cup. Not very scientific, but turned out great! 
2. Mix (I used wet hands to mix the last little bit of flour in) Dough will be sticky!
3. Cover dough (I used wax paper...you don't want it airtight) and let sit 2 hours.
4. After it has risen properly, it will be flat on the top.
5. Once risen, you can throw entire bowl (covered) into fridge for up to 14 days.  Use it whenever you need bread. However, I was hungry so...You can quarter the dough to make 4 (1 lb) loaves. A quarter of the dough is about a "grapefruit" sized amount. Make sure to flour your hands and use floured parchment paper underneath (parchment paper ISN'T necessary, but handy). Here I have just pulled the sides down and under to give the top a round shape. This will make a "boule" style loaf. Shape anyway you please. Baguette (will cook in half the time), wreath, etc.
6. Next, for the boule loaf, I cut slices about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch down. Let rest another 30 minutes.
7. While my oven preheated, I placed my pizza stone in there as well...and a pan of water underneath. Once it was at temp, I slid the parchment paper and bread into the oven to bake. I use a gas stove,  so the humidity/steam from the water pan below is critical to getting a nice crusty crust.
8. Its done when the internal temp reaches about 200-210ish degrees F. I let it cool a bit before serving warm with dinner. MMMM! 

RECIPE FROM HYVEE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive Criticism or Compliment?