October 16, 2012

Those Problematic Pit Stains

Ok, totally not glamorous to even mention this, but ... I will anyway. I love my white shirts and cute white tees, but I really don't like the fact that after a couple months of wear and tear, the armpits begin to yellow. Thinking it was just my sweat, I was grossed out. I tried adding bleach to the whites load, to no avail. UNTIL...I learned that it is actually the deodorant that discolors the shirts and that bleach is one of the worst things for deodorant stains. A little Oxyclean and some detergent, and VIOLA! Shirt as white as new! Really easy, use the measurements as a guide, not a rule. You really can't go wrong. Here are some pictures of my most recent wash. The lacey white shirt was actually in the "to donate" pile since I didn't appreciate the yellow pit stains...and now its saved!  Love stuff like that.



HOW TO WHITEN THE YELLOW STAINS:
1. Mix about a tablespoon of Oxyclean granules with about a tablespoon or two of regular fabric detergent (any liquid detergents will work) in a cup (I used the soap cup that came with the fabric detergent). Stir.
2. The mixture will get slightly warm. Don't wait to use this stuff...it will harden within the hour.
3. Once stirred, spoon/slather/wipe the mix onto the armpit areas that are yellowed.
4. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so. I accidentally left mine unattended for about 3 hours, and nothing bad happened.  :)
5. The mix will harden on the shirt. Wash off in a sink until most of the soapy bubbles subside.
6. Throw in with the next load of appropriately light to white colored clothing.
7. Wash. Dry. and be WOWed!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive Criticism or Compliment?